Thursday, August 9, 2012

Markers of Growth & The Olympics

Hey Chia
I had drafted this post a few months back and totally forgot about it.

But in the spirit of the London Olympics, I thought that I'd post this anyways!

-----------------------

"Two weeks back I had my first round of superleague. My team did really well (we won all of our 7 games).

When the day was over, Kev and I reflected on how each of us had played in our respective teams. I then remembered that a long time ago, I had promised myself to increase my jumping height so I could jump spike one day.

It was a quasi serious goal. Part of me didn't think it was possible because that would mean changing myself physically. But I thought it was a fun idea to try. So Kev made me jump as high as I could and touch his bedroom wall at the peak of my jump. He then made a pencil mark and dated it.

Kev also marked his jump and I remember being so disappointed with mine, as I was jumping so low, no matter how hard I tried.

So when I remembered my promise/goal, I asked Kev if he could measure my jump again, and to my surprise this was the result:





Between 2009 and 2012 I gained 6cm in my vertical jump height!

This was after a full day of superleague, and after not boxing or running or Pilates for a month. I was so surprised and couldn't believe it. I also realized that perhaps if I had not stopped the boxing, running, or Pilates I would have jumped higher! "

-----------------------

Haha! So yea, I was pretty chuffed with that.

However, lately I've been totally loving the Olympics from the London point of view! Kev was so awesome and found a way for us to watch the live stream of the Olympics from BBC.
Consequently, instead of watching only the events that Australia is in, I have been able to watch other events such as volleyball, badminton, handball, some wrestling and many more!

Obviously, when Australia is playing I'm on it! However, it's really refreshing seeing other countries and other sports. I love the idea that all these countries have sent their best to compete in one place, in one competition.

I am wishing more than ever that I was able to visit the Olympic village with you! I can't wait to hear about your awesome time there!

No comments:

Post a Comment